Southern Germany (Augsburg?), late 16th century, rebuilt in 18th century
Compass F-a2 (without F#, G# and g#2); disposition: 4’ gedackt / principal 2’ (in the case), quint 1⅓ / cymbal, single ½’
Case: H 82.5 x W 68.5 x D 34 cm
This instrument is one of only a few surviving Renaissance organs, even though it has been extensively altered and adapted over the centuries. An inscription below the manual quotes Psalm 150 (LAUDATE DOM[INUM] IN CHORDIS ET ORGANA PS[ALMUS] CL as justification for the inclusion of music in religious contexts. The instrument comes from the family chapel of St. Sebastian built on the property of the Ab Yberg family in Schwyz in 1566–1578, where it was presumably used for private devotions.