height 319 cm, width 265 cm
During its extensive refurbishment in 1615 the Hans zum Schwarzen Rad in Steinvorstadt was supplied with a magnificent Renaissance portal, which came into the possession of the Historisches Museum in 1882, when the property was converted into a pharmacy. Both elements, the wooden door and the stone portal, were executed at the same time and formally harmonize with each other, but were not necessarily from the hand of the same craftsman. On the basis of certain stylistic peculiarities the wooden part may be regarded as the work of the Burgundian master joiner Franz Pergo, who had made a name for himself in the town of his adoption with the splendid portal of the hall of the governing council in 1595. The imposing stone arch with strapwork relief decoration encloses a richly carved oak door, of which the surface is articulated by architectural motifs. Framing pilasters and built in tabernacles create an illusion of space and disguise the opening of the door proper. A 'green man' mask, a characteristic element of Renaissance decoration, crowns this illusionistic architecture.