The Haus zum Kirschgarten was built between 1775 and 1780 for the silk ribbon manufacturer and colonel Johann Rudolf Burckhardt. The architecture by Johann Ulrich Büchel testifies to the high representative standards of the owner and marks a high point of early classicism. Even Masonic ideas were incorporated into the spatial concept. Since 1951, this house has served as a residential museum. The majority of the exhibition rooms are dedicated to bourgeois living in Basel in the 18th and 19th centuries. These are joined by important specialist collections or cabinet exhibitions, such as on Sheikh Ibrahim.