Becher

Beaker

Nuremberg, 17th century
Intaglio engraved glass, height 9 cm, diameter 9 cm
Inv. 1890.31.

Resolution:
3699px x 4822px
Order for free

From the C16 South German glass houses sought to raise the technical skill and quality of their glass to the standard of Venetian products, and, at the same time, to develop particular forms of decoration for German glasses. At the turn of the C17, stone and glass cutting flourished in Prague at the court of Rudolf II. In 1609, during Rudolf's reign, Caspar Lehmann from the Principality of Liechtenstein both was raised to the nobility and received the privilege of cutting glass. After his death in 1660 Lehmann was succeeded by his highly talented assistant Georg Schwandhardt, who moved to Nuremberg and, with the goldsmith and glass cutter Hans Wessler, founded the great tradition of glass cutting and polishing there. Though lacking the usual small ball feet, the beaker has a shape characteristic for Nuremberg, one which lent itself to glass cutting, diamond point engraving or 'Schwarzlotmalerei' (enamelling in black or sepia). Such very early engraved decoration with flowers and insects executed in the stiff manner of woodcuts is extremely rare.

Add more images "Glass"